Cristiano Ronaldo has won his fourth Ballon D’Or, picking up 745 votes from the journalists who decided the award. Ronaldo beat Messi (316) and Antoine Griezmann (198).
The top six were all made of players plying their trade in Spain (Barca/RM/ATM), with Riyad Mahrez the highest placed among those currently playing in England.
What is the Ballon D’Or voting system? How is the award decided?
173 journalists cast their vote for their top three. First place gets 5 points, second 3 and third 1 point. The points are then totalled to arrive at the winner
Eleven players didn’t received a SINGLE vote- so out of the 30 nominated, here are the final standings for the 2016 Ballon D’Or.
Who were the eleven players who didn’t receive a single vote from the journalists for Ballon D’Or 2016?
Andres Iniesta, Sergio Ramos, Sergio Aguero, Kevin De Bruyne, Gonzalo Higuain, Koke, Thomas Muller, Manuel Neuer, Paulo Dybala, Diego Godin, Hugo Lloris.
Final Ballon D’Or Standings by Votes/Points
1) Cristiano Ronaldo (Real Madrid) 745 Points/Votes
2) Lionel Messi (Barcelona) 316
3) Antoine Griezmann (Atletico Madrid) 198
4) Luis Suarez ( Barcelona) 91
5) Neymar (Barcelona) 68
6) Gareth Bale (Real Madrid) 60
7) Riyad Mahrez (Leicester) 20
8) Jamie Vardy (Leicester) 11
9/10) Gianluigi Buffon (Juventus) and Pepe (Real Madrid) 8
11) Pierre-Emerick Aubameyang (Borussia Dortmund) 7
12) Rui Patricio (Sporting Lisbon) 6
13) Zlatan Ibrahimovic (Manchester United) 5
14/15) Paul Pogba (Manchester United) and Arturo Vidal (Bayern Munich) 4
16) Robert Lewandowski (Bayern Munich) 3
17) Toni Kroos (Real Madrid), Luka Modric (Real Madrid) & Dimitri Payet (West Ham) 1